March 17, 2010

Life on my own..

I just had a gathering of old colleagues from my old job. Time flies and it seems all of us are doing ok. However, all of them seem to think that I'm the free-iest, richest, travelling the most and seem to be enjoying life the most. Hmm.. they are wrong!

Its been almost 6 months since I took a leap of faith and left my job in the corporate world. Well, so far its there are ups and downs but no regrets. Absolutely no regrets.

Working on my own gave me the opportunity to make my own decision and take risks. It allows me the flexibility to work whenever I want to. I can travel and not bother about the number of annual leaves I have. I can start work whenever I want to. I can meet all kinds of people and learn to handle different kind of job scope.

However, this does not meant things are easy. Working on my own is a tough job. I need to learn to take risk and deal with all kinds of issues. There is no other "departments" that I can forward my problems too. When business is not so good, money does not come in and I have learned to give up alot of things that I used to enjoy :( I need to prioritize my time and sometimes even working up 12-15 hours a day. When things goes bad or wrong, I have to bear full responsibilities. There are no bosses to cover my ass.


Then why did I do it? Why on earth did I give up a high-paying, great benefit, good career prospect to something that is so unpredictable?

Well, I wanted to do something different and I decided that it will be the best time to move now. Some people are so stuck with their stable job and stable income that they are not willing to take the risk and give it up. And before they know it, its time to retire. Taking the first steps is always the hardest. If you wait till you have the money or the time, well, it might never come.

"The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are."


All I wanted was a chance to do something with my life. And yes, amidst sweat and hard work, I'm heading towards it..

No comments: